Monday, July 23, 2012

Caves of Chaos Player Map Handout

As is old news by now, the D&D Next playtest is set in the Caves of Chaos from Keep on the Borderlands. It was a well planned move by Wizards of the Coast, because it is probably an adventure that is familiar to older players due to the fact that it served as an introductory adventure in the Basic Set. Furthermore, Keep on the Borderlands was penned by none other than Gary Gygax (inspired by a set of caves surrounding castle Greyhawk from his original campaign). [UPDATE 2013-09-15: I have since learned that Gary added the "Mouths of Madness" to his Castle Zagyg, but did not have such caves in his original Castle Greyhawk.]



I wanted to try my own hand at making a player handout for a map after having searched around the Internet. There are a lot of great resources for the caves out there, but the player's maps were just not quite what I was looking for.


Quite a few industrious bloggers have worked up maps for the caves. One of the most illustrious maps was done by Weem. However, I wanted a player's map that was not so detailed. I wanted to show only the visible cave entrances and some graph lines to facilitate mapping.

http://www.theweem.com/2012/02/01/caves-of-chaos-reimagined-by-weem/


A play by mail game resulted in some interesting maps that were more in the style I wanted to present to the players.

http://www.candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-claws.htm


A very cool map that was inspired by the caves was done by 0one and is offered through Steve Jackson Games online shop.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=BLU27


This map by Untimately is also very close to the style I wanted to present to the players. I wanted the players to be able to draw on the paper so they could map out the dungeon as they explored and I felt the black hatch marks hindered being able to see pencil marks.

http://untimately.blogspot.com/2012/05/caves-of-chaos-player-map.html

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this! I was going to make this exact thing for my players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using your player's map of the Caves of Chaos for my Holmes-based game. Thanks so much for doing this!

    ReplyDelete